What Level Insurance You Need for Your Living Situation

Are your belongings protected in the event of a natural disaster? What about
a family walking on the beach

Are your belongings protected in the event of a natural disaster? What about a robbery? Different living situations require different levels of insurance protection, but almost every person needs at least some kind of insurance policy. You don’t want to overpay, but you also need to make sure you are protected. Learn about the different policy levels so you can get the insurance you need.

Homeowners need home insurance.

At the most basic level, every homeowner needs at least a basic homeowners insurance policy. This is used regardless of whether you live in a standalone house or a condo. Your homeowners insurance should cover any property damage from natural disasters (like lightning striking your house) as well as the replacement cost for items inside the home.

Many policies will also include liability coverage in the event that someone is injured in your home. If a guest falls on your driveway or a neighbor trips over a root in your yard and needs medical attention, your insurance policy may cover their costs.

In some areas, you may need to pay more for specialized insurance coverage. In the United States, Florida homeowners often need coverage for floods, while residents in California need coverage for earthquakes. Traditional insurance companies list coverage for area-specific disasters in their exclusions. However, if you work with a local agent you should be able to find the policy coverage you need.

Comprehensive, specialized home insurance policies cost more but provide homeowners with peace of mind knowing they are protected.

Renters also need insurance coverage.

If you are a tenant in a New York City apartment or simply live in a rental in another part of the U.S. you will still need insurance. Renters insurance covers your belongings in the event that they are destroyed in a natural disaster or are stolen. This insurance also protects you in case you damage the property of your landlord. It may cover the cost of repairs or any legal bills related to the damage.

There are different coverage options for renters. For example, if you are looking into furnished homes for rent, then you won’t need as much coverage as someone who has their own furniture that they want to insure. Your landlord is more likely to cover the furnished apartment in their homeowners insurance. Your renter’s insurance will want to know the value of the items you own to assess how much coverage you need. For example, if you have an extensive antique collection, your premium may be higher.

The deductible and premium you pay as a renter will depend on the size of the property you live in, its location, and whether it is a furnished apartment.

You may be able to combine your policies.

If you are looking for a discount on your homeowners policy, consider reaching out to the same insurance company that covers your car. Many personal property companies offer services to customers who combine their auto insurance coverage with their home services. Plus, if you already have a relationship with the insurance company, it is easier to ask for a home insurance quote from your existing customer service agent.

It may be easier to work with one firm to prospect your car, your home office, and all your furnishings. There will likely also be less paperwork, making the customer discount even sweeter.

Before you move into a rented house or buy a property, set aside time to evaluate your budget and insurance needs. Ask your landlord if they recommend any companies that specialize in covering rentals. You can also ask your car insurer for a bundling discount. Doing your research ahead of time can help you save money and reduce your stress levels.

Read More