What To Do if You Find Something in a Background Check

Background checks are an important part of today’s society. They help employers, landlords,
two people over a laptop

Background checks are an important part of today’s society. They help employers, landlords, and other interested parties make informed decisions about the people they come into contact with. However, sometimes the information in a background check can be inaccurate.

If you find something in a background check that you weren’t expecting, don’t panic. Instead, you can take a few steps to figure out what it is and what to do about it. Keep reading to find out what to do if you find something in a background check.

Seeking out relevant records.


Whether you’re running a background check on someone else or you’re checking into your own records, you’ll need to start with a tool that lets you perform such searches. A site like BackgroundCheck.co provides fast public records and background check results, with real-time access to the data in question. If you find something incorrect in your own background, it is important to take action immediately. If you see something in a background check you’re running on another person, you’ll need to weigh your options accordingly. Taking these steps can help protect your personal information and your reputation while keeping you safe.

Dispute any inaccurate information.

If you find inaccurate information in your background check, the first step is to dispute the information with the organization. This can be done by contacting the company’s customer service line. Be prepared to provide documentation that disproves the statement in your report. If the organization does not correct the information after you have disputed it, you may need to take legal action. You can file a lawsuit against the company to get the information corrected. However, this is a costly and time-consuming process, so weighing your options before moving forward is essential.

Verify the name on the report.

It is important to ensure that you are looking at the correct information when checking someone’s background. This is especially important if you are considering hiring someone who has a common name. You can do this by checking the date on the report. The report should be up to date so that you can get the most accurate information possible. Depending on the information you’ve flagged, you may reach out to the person in question for further clarification.

Provide evidence of the inaccuracy.


If you’re disputing the results of your background check, you may need to provide documentation to support your claim. This documentation can include anything from letters from your employers to court documents or school transcripts.

If the background check was conducted by a third party, you’ll need to contact that company directly and request a copy of your report. Once you have the report, you can begin to dispute the information that is inaccurate.

If you’re having trouble getting the company to correct the information, you can file a dispute with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The CFPB is a government agency that helps protect consumers from unfair and deceptive practices by financial institutions.

When filing a dispute with the CFPB, be sure to include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your Social Security number
  • The name of the company that conducted the background check
  • The contact information for the company
  • The date of the background check
  • The type of background check
  • The results of the background check
  • A summary of the reasons you believe the check is inaccurate
  • Any documentation you have to support your claim

You can file a dispute with the CFPB online or by mail. If you choose to file online, you’ll need to create an account. If you choose to file by mail, you can download the form from the CFPB website.

If the information in the background check is damaging and it is impacting your ability to get a job or housing, you may want to consider filing a lawsuit. You should speak to an attorney to find out if this is an option for you.

No one wants to find something inaccurate or incomplete in their background check. However, if you do find something, there are steps that you can take to correct the information.

Read More